Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day 1: OTS Conference

Despite my hestitancy in taking over this program, nothing can stop that instinctual desire to improve, control, brainstorm, research, etc, etc that makes me the perfect person for (most of) this program. The presentations and discussions yesterday helped prove that. I couldn't help but be interested in hearing their experiences and ideas for improvement. I couldn't help but start getting excited about how I could improve what I had seen in our exhibit set up and implementation. We've been missing the boat (shuttle) on this one.

I'm still not excited about the extra hours, the truck driving, the dealing with venues, the crowds, the set-up/tear-down. It's a lot more manual labor and organization then education - and I'm too good at teaching to spend so much time on it. That's always been one of the things I really like about teaching through a museum - a higher percentage of time is spent on actually developing curriculum and teaching it then on the bureaucracy and administrative responsibilities of classroom teaching. But, there's a chance I could do this, with minimal suffering.

No comments: