Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Welcome to the next (little) thing

Welcome to the newest blog for Stephanie Farrell. There have been others, Facebook, LiveJournal, my own Frontlight.com, and even brief jaunts through Friendster and MySpace. But this one is something different - it's a class assignment. So it is likely to remain well updated and current, at least for the next few weeks.

First, a bit about me. I have several passions; science, photography, and education among them. I am currently a grad student in the MAT-PT program at Southern Oregon University. For those not familiar with the abbreviation, that's the Master of Arts in Teaching, 2 year/part-time program. Teaching is not just academic for me, however. I put it into practice nearly every day as the Science Inquiry Outreach Coordinator for ScienceWorks Hands-On Museum in Ashland, Oregon.

This blog will serve as both a home for posting class assignments and as a learning tool while developing my own sense of using technology while teaching. This topic is extremely relevant to me in many ways. In the forefront, I'm teaching a summer camp next week called "Play, Invent, Explore" which will use the PicoCrickets technology developed by MIT and LEGO. This is a really interesting program, but using it in a way that develops some further understanding in the kids of what can be done with technology will be the challenging part. There's too much of a desire to just have fun with it. Though even by just having fun they should hopefully learn something through the creative process.

"Teaching through technology" is the theme of our current class. There will be much to learn, and some of it will just be re-learning how to approach some of the technology I already use to see how it can be applied to teaching. There will be reviews of the various technologies we'll be testing as we go, stay tuned!

No comments: